Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Acts of God

A little more than a month ago, I posted this entry http://butamoment-breath.blogspot.com/2009/05/rolling-along.html about how we were planning on paying for IVF. I made some snappy comment like "We would like to leave 2k-3k in the bank just in case the roof caves in, the wheels fall off the car, or either one of us loses our jobs." Well wouldn't you know it, the karma gods heard me and sent a storm to our house last night.

A tree branch took out our power line to the house, pulled the point of attachment pole off the side of the house, and fried all the wires in the meter base. Neither hubby nor I were home. It had just happened when I pulled into the driveway. A neighbor ran across the yard (barefoot) to tell me what happened. Four firetrucks pulled in right behind me. Apparently there had been quite the boom and fireworks when the live wires touched metal. The brick around the meter box is very scorched. But no fire by the time I got there and no fire damage to the house or it's contents. Thank God!

The electric company says none of it is their responsibility. An electrician is at the house working right now. His quote is $2,500. The work has to be inspected by the city before the electric company will reattach the power lines. Who knows how long it will be before we have power restored? We have put a call into our home owner's insurance.

The moral of the story, plan for a worst case scenario. You never know when you might need it. If we didn't have the safety net of 3k in our bank account, I don't know what we would be doing right now.

3 comments:

Once Upon A Time said...

Oh, wow. Glad everyone is ok and glad you had a safety net left over. Now just hope the wheels stay on your vehicles and your jobs are nice and secure!

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys are okay. Hope your insurance covers some of it!

Courtney said...

Wow, that's scary. I'm glad you are ok and thank goodness for your safety net.